Your kids, grandkids, great-grandkids could go broke if you do not fix this problem. Yes, that may seem a bit harsh, but when you look at the statistics of generational wealth building it is very somber.
- 70% of rich families lose their wealth by the 2nd generation
- 70% of family-owned businesses fail and/or sold by the 2nd generation
- 86% of millionaires are first generation.
Contrary to a commonly held belief that most wealthy people are born into their wealth, most millionaires are self-made. However, this earned wealth struggles to be maintained or grown by second and third generation family members. We call this the wealth wash cycle.
Tune in to this week’s episode of The Money Guy Show as we reveal the secrets to sustaining your wealth through future generations. Learn the practical steps you and your family can implement to keep your wealth for generations to come.
Here’s What You’ll Find Out in this Episode:
The steps you can follow to extend wealth beyond the first generation.
- Open Lines of Financial Communication: Why you shouldn’t avoid the money conversation with your adult children, and how to start including them in important financial discussions.
- Foster Financial Behaviors that Create Future Success: What a timeline of things that you can do throughout the different stages of life to nurture good financial behaviors in your children:
- Kids Under 18: Teach the basics of how money works. Talk to your children early and often about finance.
- College Graduates: Show them that every dollar needs a plan. Share books that can inspire them to understand their money even more.
- Married Children: Be their counselor for big life decisions like joining money with a spouse, buying their first home, preparing for emergencies, and getting finances in order before having children.
- Share Your Estate Plan: How you can make your children aware of your estate plan and the decisions you’ve made and why. Consider having a family meeting to share your estate plan with your children. It is important for your family to know this information and where it is located.
Break The Cycle: Find out how to break the cycle of generational wealth dissipation and why bringing in an outside voice, a financial expert, can help facilitate productive discussions that can lead to successful generational wealth maintenance.
You can end the Generational Wealth Wash Cycle by applying these steps to go beyond common sense and make sure that your children and grandchildren are building a legacy that works just as hard as you did building those assets.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Financial Advice for Teenagers: Ways to Win With Money?
- Financial Advice You Wish You Knew as a Teenager
- Financial Order of Operations: How To Prioritize Your Financial Goals
- The Wealthy Barber: Everyone’s Common-Sense Guide to Becoming Financially Independent
- The Richest Man in Babylon
- The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy
- The Next Millionaire Next Door: Enduring Strategies for Building Wealth
- How to Think About Money
Enjoy the Show?
- Make sure you subscribe, so you get updates, announcements, and exclusive post-show deliverables!
- Leave us a review on iTunes
- Send us your questions or share your story!
- You can also use #AskTheMoneyGuy on social media!
- Get your FREE copy of The 30-Minute(ish) Financial Plan
Tune In and Go Beyond Common Sense with the Money Guys
This show would not be what it is today without the support of our wonderful listeners. We strive to continue making the show better, and your feedback is an important part of that process.
If you have any questions/suggestions/comments/concerns (or just want to say hi!), feel free to reach out to us: [email protected] and [email protected] You can also join the conversation on Facebook or connect on Twitter @MoneyGuyPodcast.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to join our community! You’ll never miss special announcements and offers, plus you’ll get future podcasts and blog posts delivered straight to your inbox so you can get in on the action right away.